You can work at the Directorate-General Civil Security as a worker treating certain dossiers, as a jurist, as a financial expert, as an administrative assistant and many more functions. You work for and together with the emergency services such as the Civil Protection, the operators and calltakers in the emergency centres and the fire departments.
If you would like to join the Directorate-General Civil Security, we advise you to register for “Mijn Selor” (My Selor). Then you automatically receive all vacancies in your mailbox. All Federal Public Services use the data in this centralized database when they recruit personnel.
You can start to work at the Civil Protection in two manners: as a professional or a voluntary staff member.
Operational co-operator at the Civil Protection
As a professional staff member or operational co-operator at the Civil Protection you intervene in emergency situations. You help people in case of small and big disasters. When you start to work as an operational co-operator, you need to succeed for the physical tests and have a driving licence B.
If you would like to work for the Civil Protection, we advise you to register for “Mijn Selor”. Then you automatically receive all vacancies in your mailbox. All Federal Public Services use the data in this centralized database when they recruit personnel.
Volunteer at the Civil Protection
A “core” volunteer at the Civil Protection executes the same tasks as a professional. Therefore volunteers are expected to follow to a large extend the same trainings and refresher courses. The difference is that volunteers execute their tasks for the Civil Protection besides their professional activities. They are paid on the basis of the number of interventions.
Candidates need to meet the following conditions before they can become a volunteer:
- pass a medical examination that declares that the candidate is fit for carrying a breathing apparatus
- get the certificate of breathing apparatus carrier after a preparatory training in an operational unit of the Civil Protection
- be in training for one year at a unit of the Civil Protection before the candidate permanently becomes a volunteer
- pass a VO2max test (stress test)
- follow the provided trainings (1 Saturday a month)
- being available minimally 2x 12 hours a month (stand-by)
- being minimally 18 years old
The Civil Protection is also recruiting volunteers.
As a volunteer, you carry out voluntary work alongside your main occupation. You are compensated according to the number of interventions in which you have participated.
When a volunteer recruitment campaign is organised, a call for applications is published on the Selor website.
Subscribe to the mailing list of Selor and consult the website regularly.
If you are interested in a function at one of the fire departments in Belgium, you first have to obtain a federal aptitude certificat.
More information on this subject can be read on the website jedevienspompier.be (in Dutch, French or German).
112 emergency call center
Operators and calltakers reassure callers in distress, tell them what to do and prevent the necessary emergency services. An operator takes the emergency calls and sends emergency services from the emergency centre 112. A calltaker takes emergency calls from a Communication and Information Centre of the integrated police (CIC 101).
To apply as a calltaker or as an operator you need to have a diploma of higher secondary education. Further experience is not required, but knowledge of the national languages is an advantage.
If you would love to work in the emergency centres, we advise you to register for “Mijn Selor”. Then you automatically receive all vacancies in your mailbox. All Federal Public Services use the data in this centralized database when they recruit personnel.
Relief teams with dogs
A dog relief team consists of a dog handler and a dog, deployed to trace and rescue persons buried under the rubble or missing persons.
A dog handler needs to meet the following conditions:
- as a professional or as a volunteer, belong to a fire department or an operational unit of the Civil Protection
- have his/her main residence in Belgium
- be minimally 21 years old
- provide a certificate of good behaviour that is less than maximally 3 months old
- pass a medical examination carried out by a certified institution regarding industrial medicine
- have a driving licence category B
- provide a certificate that the vaccinations required are okay
The dog of the dog handler needs to meet the following conditions:
- be maximally 5 years old at the time of the application by the candidate dog handler
- may not be the object of a legal keeping ban
- be the object of a certificate from a veterinary that the dog is in good shape. This certificate may not be older than 3 months
- be the object of a certificate that the vaccinations required are okay
- be in order with the identification, in accordance with the royal decree of 17/11/1994 that makes the identification of dogs obligatory
- be the object of a certificate, issued by a university faculty for veterinary science, in which it is stated that the dog has no dysplasia D and E
- pass a preceding test